General | June 30, 2023
Managing Neck Pain In Young Mums: How Osteopathy Can Help
Dr Jarryd Crisp-OSTEOPATH | SENIOR OSTEOPATH-Double Bachelor of Health Science/Applied Science (Osteopathy), Bachelor of Health Sciences
Being a young mum is a beautiful and rewarding experience, but it can also bring its fair share of challenges. One common issue faced by many young mothers is neck pain, which can be caused by the physical demands of motherhood, such as carrying and feeding a baby, constant bending, and lack of sleep. Neck pain can significantly impact a mother’s ability to care for her child and lead a comfortable life. Fortunately, osteopathy offers a holistic and effective approach to manage and alleviate neck pain in young mums.
- Understanding Osteopathy: Osteopathy is a branch of alternative medicine that focuses on treating musculoskeletal problems by enhancing the body’s self-healing abilities. Osteopaths use manual techniques, including stretching, manipulation, and massage, to improve joint mobility, relieve muscle tension, and restore balance within the body. This approach not only targets the symptoms but also addresses the underlying causes of the pain.
- Relieving Muscle Tension and Imbalances: Neck pain is often associated with muscle tension and imbalances in the neck and upper back. Osteopathy can help identify and correct these imbalances through gentle manipulations and soft tissue techniques. By releasing tension and improving alignment, osteopathic treatments can provide significant relief from pain and discomfort.
- Restoring Range of Motion: Restricted range of motion in the neck can further exacerbate pain and discomfort. Osteopathic manipulations can help restore proper joint mobility, reducing stiffness and allowing for a wider range of motion. This increased flexibility enables young mums to engage in daily activities without restrictions and improves their ability to care for their little ones.
- Addressing Postural Issues: Poor posture is a common contributing factor to neck pain. Young mums often find themselves in positions that strain their necks, such as hunching over while nursing or carrying a baby. Osteopaths can assess and address postural imbalances, providing guidance on proper body mechanics and ergonomics. By correcting posture and teaching exercises to strengthen the supporting muscles, osteopathy helps young mums maintain a healthier alignment and reduce the risk of recurring neck pain.
- Holistic Approach: One of the key benefits of osteopathy is its holistic nature. Osteopaths consider the whole body during the assessment and treatment process. They take into account the interconnectedness of various systems and how they can contribute to neck pain. For example, stress and emotional tension can lead to muscle tension and pain. Osteopathic treatments aim to restore the body’s balance, promoting overall well-being and reducing the likelihood of pain recurrence.
If you would like any further clarity on this topic, please do not hesitate to contact our Melton clinic on 9747 0077, or our Bacchus Marsh clinic on 5367 0400.
- Hall H, McIntosh G, Boyle C. Effectiveness of osteopathy in treating pregnant women with low back pain: a systematic review. BMC Musculoskelet Disord. 2019;20(1):533. doi:10.1186/s12891-019-2917-0
- Franke H, Franke JD, Fryer G. Osteopathic manipulative treatment for nonspecific low back pain: a systematic review and meta-analysis. BMC Musculoskelet Disord. 2014;15:286. doi:10.1186/1471-2474-15-286
- Cerritelli F, Ruffini N, Lacorte E, et al. Osteopathic manipulative treatment in gynecology and obstetrics: A systematic review. Complement Ther Med. 2017;31:30-40. doi:10.1016/j.ctim.2017.01.008
- Degenhardt BF, Johnson JC, Snider KT, Snider EJ. Maintenance and improvement of the somatic component to patient care